Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2018

We're All Ears - Calder Inspired Earrings

Hi Everyone!

Today I am creating along with the We're All Ears monthly challenge on the Earrings Everyday blog.  This month the inspiration is the art of Alexander Calder.  Thanks, Erin Prais-Hintz, for the inspiration.
Rouge et Noir, 1955, Alexander Calder

We are trying to capture the movement and momentum of his kinetic sculptures in a pair of earrings.

This is perfect for me as right now I am in the midst of teaching lessons on Calder to the homeschool group for which I am an art tutor.  So far our group has created stabiles and worked with clay.  Next week, we will create a circus in wire and recycled materials inspired by Calder's circus.

I have always admired Calder's mobiles, but I have learned so much more about his life and art as a result of teaching about him.  Did you know he created jewelry as well?  Here's an example of some of his pieces:

More inspiration!  I love the hammered brass.

So, with Calder in mind, here's a pair of earrings that I created:
"Got that Swing" Earrings
These have a really nice motion to them and swing as you walk, hence the name I chose.  They also have a little rocking movement as the wire in the spacer is smaller than the hole and slips back and forth.  I have combined silver metal spacer bars, gold beads and spacers and gunmetal head pins.
"Got that Swing" Earrings
Such a great inspiration this month.  Thanks, Erin!  The work of Calder is enough inspiration for a lifetime!  I am working on some hammered brass wire earrings, too.  I hope to show you those soon!

Hope you are inspired to create!
Terry


1 comment:

  1. I love them! I like that you used a component in a new way, that spacer bar. These would go with everything, another win! So cool that you are teaching Calder. Wish I could be a fly on the wall! Lots more to explore in my nod to this Master and his use of movement and simple shapes and materials! Thanks for playing along with me in the We're All Ears challenge! Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete